Surfing and Grief


Surfers ride waves for a variety of reasons. Foremost, we surf because of the stoke we receive from gliding on the water. “Stoke” is a not-so-technical word meaning happy, excited or thrilled.
But surfers surf for other reasons, as well. For example, boredom can force a surfer off the couch on a rainy Saturday afternoon to ride knee-high waves. Anger from a bad day at work or school will push a surfer to get wet. And, when grieving, surfers will seek out the comfort of saltwater, which can wash away their blues.
Several weeks, ago our family had a sad day. Early on a Friday morning, while our son, William, was in high school, my wife Amy and I reluctantly euthanized our beloved 10-year-old dog, Dixie. As dog people know, it’s like discovering a hole in your heart.
So, we were sad.  
Later that day, after my son returned home from school, I asked him if he’d like to surf. “Surfing will help with the grief,” I told him. “The ocean is a healer,” I said, remembering words my mother spoke to me when I was a boy. “Let’s go ride some waves.”
At the moment, William only wanted to be left alone. I understood. As I left the house, I told him I would be at the north side of the pier.
The waves were pretty crummy, but as the tide pushed in, the sandbar forced the weak thigh-high waves into something worth surfing. I had been out about a half-hour when I saw William just north of the small crowd at the pier. I caught a wave and paddled back out near him.
“Good to see you,” I said.
“I’m glad I came out, Dad,” he said. “It feels good to be in the water. I’ve gotten a couple of fun rides. I needed this.”
I watched William catch a nice wave and ride it to the beach. When he paddled back out he was smiling. “How are you feeling?” I asked him.
“Sad. But this helps.”
“Let’s catch a wave for Dixie,” I said.
After supper that night, as Amy, William and I came together for prayer, William said, “I’m so glad I surfed today. It helped me with my grief. I know Dixie is better off. I miss her but she no longer suffers.”
Surfing almost always has a way of putting life in perspective. This is one of the blessings of riding waves. Surfing is a cathartic art that can lift the veil on sadness.
Death can be a difficult part of life. We say goodbye to those we love, people and pets. But Mother Ocean is always there ready to surround us with a comforting embrace (and, if we are fortunate, the riding of waves).

Comments

  1. Before people said there is no cure for herpes virus but today many people have now believe that there is a cure,herpes virus can be cured through Africans roots and herbs, dr.ubarlo he is the one of the great herbal doctor in Africa and he has the cure on this virus last month he share his herbal medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well recognize as one of the best in Africa, you don’t have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this virus when the cure have already be find by dr.ubarlo email him on drubarlohome@gmail.com or Whatsapp number +2348119508814

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts